Monday, December 16, 2013

Christmas Cookies

Remember when I started a blog?

I vaguely remember... Well it has obviously not been on my priority list. I'll try again.

Christmas is a little over a week away and this past weekend I felt it was time to make some Christmas goodies, since next weekend we'll be in Northwest Arkansas doing Christmas with my parents and Jared's mom and brother. I remember growing up how mom would make a bunch of candy and cookies and stuff around Christmas, and I always wanted to make that a tradition with Izzy and Addy. With mom we would make fudge, peanut butter balls, turtles, homemade almond joy thingies, and all kinds of cookies (I'm sure I'm missing something). There were enough sweets to eat and gain 10 pounds in a week.

So, what did the girls and I make over the weekend you ask?



One batch of Christmas cutout cookies. That's it.

It's just such a big ordeal to do something like that with a 2 1/2 and a 4 1/2 year old. I made the dough Saturday morning and put it in the fridge because it has to chill, and I didn't get it out until Sunday afternoon. What in the world did we do between Saturday morning and Sunday afternoon?? Who knows.

Well then I forgot how difficult the dough is to roll out once you take it out of the fridge...it has to warm up. So I pulled it out and the girls were all excited and I couldn't flatten it at all so we had to wait like 30 minutes and even then it was a workout to roll it out. But I got it and the girls took turns picking out a cookie cutter, cutting out the cookies, then placing them on the cookie sheet. That took like 30 minutes right there. Then once the cookies are baked and cool, we decorated them. I made three colors of icing and put each color in a sandwich baggy to squeeze out the icing. The girls had a lot of fun and were all into it.

 


We still have to make our gingerbread houses. That's another thing we did growing up and I've done it since Izzy was born. I also do what my mom used to do. Before we would glue the roof on the houses, mom would put little gifts like stocking stuffers inside the house. Then on Christmas Eve, we would demolish the houses with a hammer or something to see what was inside. I think we're going to try to do the houses tonight. We shall see...

Well maybe I can keep this up again and I hope to fill in the two months between my last post and this one.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you remember all the stuff I tried to do with yall. The girls look like they loved it.

    ReplyDelete