Thursday, May 8, 2014

Sprinkler and cookies...is it really already summer?

It's barely May and we already broke out the sprinkler.

I'm not looking forward to our water bill this summer.  Or our electric bill.  And our summer is apparently planning to last a good 4 months.  Ugh.

Oh well.  It is what it is.



Addy is always so timid at first.



Izzy, however, not so much!


These next two pictures crack me up!



And, Addy finally took the plunge!


Of course, they had to bring their new beach towels (thanks, Nana!) outside and wipe off their faces everytime they ran through the sprinkler. 


They had a big time.  I guess the higher water bill will be worth it, haha!



And this is my favorite one because it's of both of them and they've got a big smile :)



 You know, nothing's better than having a fun snack while playing outside in the water.

I had two boxes of chocolate cake mix that have been sitting in my pantry since the holidays, and figured I should probably do something with them.

Cookies it is!

Here's my version of a cake mix cookie (you know me...always trying to "healthify" stuff).  They turned out pretty yummy!

(If you try to bake without eggs, which I do quite often, then you could substitute the 1 egg with 1/4 cup of applesauce, which I've done before.)

Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies

1 box chocolate cake mix (I used devil's food)
1 egg
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup applesauce
1/4 cup peanut butter (I used crunchy)
1/2 cup chocolate chips (or more...the recipe I tweaked used 2 cups! 1/2 cup was plenty for us)

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Dump all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.  The batter will be very thick.
  3. Drop by tablespoons onto ungreased baking sheet.
  4. Bake 9-11 minutes.  They should be soft when you take them out of the oven.  Try not to over bake - don't leave them in longer than 11 or 12 minutes.
  5. Eat!


 As you can see, the batter is very thick. 

Before going into the oven - I didn't make them pretty; they're just globs.

Cooling. 

Close up.  See how they're still a little gooey?  That's whatcha want.

She has this look on her face a lot.

And this one.  :)

Nothing like a chocolate cookie!

Enjoy your summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment