Saturday, March 15, 2014

Saturday = donuts

This morning was a lazy Saturday morning (what Saturday morning isn't?).  I was sitting on the couch drinking my coffee and enjoying the quiet.  The girls were still in bed and Jared had left for work...yes he's a teacher...yes he has to go to school on Saturdays...stinking snow days.

Then Izzy gets up, comes and sits by me on the couch, and says, "Mommy, I want breakfast."

No, "Good morning, Mommy."  No, "Hi, Mommy."  No hug.  Just, "I want breakfast."

She doesn't waste any time when it comes to her meals.  Hmmm, wonder who she gets that from?  (Papaw, ahem.)

So we made donuts!  Now, if you read my post about our Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins, you'll know that I'm always trying to make our food a little healthier.  And these are no exception; I used whole wheat flour and they don't have any butter, oil, or eggs.  These are also baked donuts, and they're not the yeasty kind.  But even though they're healthier than a regular donut, they are still pretty fluffy and yummy.


When we went through our vegan phase, I learned that when baking, vinegar combined with baking soda takes the place of eggs for fluffiness.  And don't worry, you can't taste the vinegar at all.  I know eggs also act as a binding agent, but anything I've baked without eggs have held together just fine.

Here is the recipe first, then the pictures.

Our Favorite Baked Donuts (makes 6 but could easily be doubled)

Ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
dash of nutmeg
1/8 tsp salt
2 tbls unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp apple cider vinegar

Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
  2. In a small bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.  Mix well.
  3. In another bowl combine applesauce, milk, vanilla, and sugar, and mix well.
  4. Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix until almost combined.
  5. Add the vinegar and mix just until combined.  Somewhere I read that adding the vinegar at the very end yields a fluffier end product.  Don't overmix or the donuts could end up dense.
  6. Spray a donut pan (if you don't have a donut pan, you could use a muffin pan and make muffins instead) with non-stick spray.  Pour batter into pan and bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
  7. Let cool in the pan for a couple of minutes, then place on a wire rack.
Icing Ingredients:

1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/2 - 1 tbls milk
  1. In a small bowl combine the sugar, vanilla, and 1/2 tbls milk, and mix well.
  2. Add more milk if needed, a very small amount at a time, until it's icing consistency.  
  3. Add food coloring, if desired (I added a tiny drop of red because the girls wanted pink icing), and mix well.
  4. Dip donuts into icing.
  5. Add sprinkles.
  6. Eat!



First, we measured the flour.  Actually, Izzy did most of the work.


Then the baking powder.


Then the cinnamon.


A couple shakes of nutmeg.


I added the salt. Then mix, mix, mix.


In another bowl, she added applesauce.


Then the sugar.


Then the milk.


I poured in the vanilla.  Then mix, mix, mix again!


She added the vinegar, what she called, "That stinky stuff."  Agreed.


Oh, Superman woke up!  (She's a little cranky in the mornings.)  I poured the batter into the donut pan.


Picking out their donuts.



Addy helped make the icing while the donuts were baking.


Being silly while waiting.


Gotta have chocolate milk with donuts!  (And then Izzy proceeded to spill hers all over the counter.  Always somethin'.)


Finally!  9 minutes was a long time to wait!  See how they rise up nicely?  Yes, I know, I need to work on my photography skills. 


Dipping the donuts in the icing.


Sprinkles!  (Again, photography skills.)



Addy's turn.



Yum!


Addy acting like she's mad.


Oh, she was just kidding!


I love to bake, if you didn't already know.  And that's definitely one thing I want to teach my kids.  Baking and cooking is a great way to spend some quality time with your children, and they think it's so much fun to help you!  

Except try not to get frustrated when they spill or get flour on everything or break your favorite glass mixing bowl.  I speak from experience here.

Anyway, go eat ya some donuts!

No comments:

Post a Comment